capturing the History and Heritage of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County
Rules and Regulations
A Snapshot of History photography contest encourages photographers young and old to allow the history and heritage of Harrisonburg and Rockingham to inspire their photographs. This contest is open to area non-professional photographers of all ages. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded in mid-July.
Entries should be inspired by the history and heritage of the area. Contestants should look back beyond fifty years and allow the past to inspire their photographs of the present. Although the contest theme represents the area’s history, all photographs must be taken within the last year (2014-2015). The subjects for this contest are local architecture, landscape, still life, and period appropriate people.
- Entries may be color or black & white.
- Entrants may submit a maximum of five photos with a limit of two photos per category.
- Entries must be printed on photographic quality paper sized between 4” x 6” and 8” x 11”.
- Mounting is not required, however entries may be mounted on foam core that does not extend more than one inch beyond the photograph’s edge.
- Framed entries will not be accepted.
- Each contestant must complete one entry form.
- Each photo must be identified on the back with the contestant’s name, age division, category, and contact information.
- Entries must be received by The Heritage Museum by 5 pm, Tuesday, July 7th, 2015.
- Winning entries will not be returned. The Historical Society reserves the right to retain any or all entries. All images will be scanned for the archival collection and become the property of the Historical Society.
- The coordinators reserve the right not to display any photograph that is inappropriate in content.
- Youth: age 12 and under.
- Teen: age 13 to age 18.
- Adult: age 19 and above.
All age divisions will include each of the four subject categories: local architecture, landscape, still life, and period appropriate people.
A panel of judges will be selected by the Historical Society based upon knowledge and expertise in the areas of photography and history. The decisions of the judges will be final. Judges will consider the following criteria: use of historical theme, composition, and creativity.
Prizes for each category and age division, including gift baskets/gift cards and ribbons, will be awarded with recognition on a date to be determined.
Photographs will be displayed at The Heritage Museum, home of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society, for a featured exhibit. Entries may be used in the design of a calendar, exhibit, or future marketing or published in The Heritage Museum Newsletter.